Stripping line tip

A Great Place to ask questions about or share information concerning Baits, Tackle, Rods, Reels, Techniques, etc.
Bobbys Toy

Stripping line tip

Postby Bobbys Toy » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:06 pm

Hello all,
This is a simple way to strip your reels for the up coming fishing season. I have used commercial strippers and found them to more trouble than they worth. My method is a simple soda bottle, a screw, lock nut and cordless drill. I use a 16oz soda bottle and find that I can strip off approx. 6000 feet line with one bottle. Here is the tools and method:
I used a screw on soda bottle cap. drilled a hole thru it that fit a #10 machine screw 1 1/2 inches long. I used a 3/16 drill bit. Then I used a small flat washer on the inside, put the screw thru the hole and washer, placed a large flat washer over the screw and cap on the outside and help it all together with a #10 lock nut.
cap1.jpg
cap1.jpg (73.16 KiB) Viewed 1919 times

cap2.jpg
cap2.jpg (196.53 KiB) Viewed 1919 times

Screw the cap onto your soda bottle and place it in your cordless drill. Tie your line onto the bottle and hit the trigger. Once you complete the first reel just tie the line of the second reel to the tag end of the first line and continue until the bottle is full. A 16oz bottle will do about 6 reels for me of 12 and 20 pound mono. You can strip the line off the bottle if wish and recycle the line. I put the hole this in a plastic bag and put in in our recycle bin.
This is what it should like:
pic3.jpg
pic3.jpg (219.46 KiB) Viewed 1919 times

Bob Jones
Bobby's Toy

Last Dime
Site Admin

Re: Stripping line tip

Postby Last Dime » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:22 pm

Great Tip, Bob! Thanks for sharing.