Dealing with Catch and Release

This is where to post all things about the Angler of the Year (AOTY) Outings as well any other outings - River, Surf & Pier & Otherwise -held in the past.
Adamwest

Dealing with Catch and Release

Postby Adamwest » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:04 pm

At the most recent outing, I noticed there seemed to be a tiny bit of confusion regarding verifying the sizes of the fish caught and the allocation of AOTY points.

At Island Lake I took 2 pictures of fish. Bob measured both fish and I took the pictures. At the time, the lengths seemed obvious but from the picture it was a challenge to determine the exact length.

IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0001.JPG (1.55 MiB) Viewed 1053 times

IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG (1.52 MiB) Viewed 1053 times

I have a suggestion for dealing with Catch and Release fishing for next year and since there was the mention of releasing fish that would be counted towards AOTY points at the next outing, potentially helpful Saturday.

When a fish is caught it is measured by another DAS member. Then either of the DAS members call the outing organizer and leaves a voice mail message with the members name, type and length of fish. After the fishing has concluded, the outing organizer simply listens to the messages and records the information on a piece of paper. Then simply apply the rules and the ranking of the fish and allocation of the AOTY points will be obvious.

Once the sizes of the fish were agreed upon there seemed to be confusion about how to handle a tie.

My suggestion is that the rules be written out in advance and all likely scenarios be addressed.

It would be my pleasure to assist any outing organizer with testing or compilation their specific outing rules.

Good luck, Adam

Adamwest

Re: Dealing with Catch and Release

Postby Adamwest » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:54 pm

Example of Event Rules that should be published before the event.
These could be used in a Length only C&R Outing for instance.

1. The member with the longest fish is awarded 1st place and 4 AOTY points.
2. The member with the second longest fish is awarded 2nd place and 3 AOTY points.
3. The member with the 3rd longest fish is awarded third place and 1 AOTY point.

In the event of a tie, the second largest fish (caught by each member involved in the tie) will be compared. The largest of these fish will determine the winner of the tie and awarded the appropriate ranking and points. This will be repeated until a winner is determined or all of the fish have been considered.
If the a tie occurs and cannot be decided by the rules above then the winner will be determined by flipping a coin (with the oldest member involved in the tie calling it in the air) or some other suitable game of chance provided by the event organizer.

These are just a simple example (not perfect) and hopefully a conversation starter. :D

BigMaMa

Postby BigMaMa » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:23 am

Adam

Great thoughts
What about a common ruler for this type of outing.
something with a zero stop and also a solid back ground. Its very difficult to see the tail of a fish over a leave background.
Check out the scale in the attached pic. This one measures to 23 made from aluminum for 11.99.There is one called hawg Trough
injected plastic 30inch around $20.

BigMaMa
Attachments
20170408_230720.jpg
20170408_230720.jpg (490.73 KiB) Viewed 1015 times

Adamwest

Postby Adamwest » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:59 pm

Great suggestion BigMaMa!

That would be very easy to read and you only need to see one end so you can conveniently measure and photgraph by yourself if needed.

Tight lines, Adam

steelheader159bm

Postby steelheader159bm » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:02 pm

At the 2016 Island Lake outing, the points were based on the number of fish. This year it was based on the largest fish. I understand that the organizer of the outing determines the rules. I think we need to have the rules be the same each year. One of the ways that could determine a way of setting points could be the combined total inches of all fish caught by the angler. Examples could be 5 fish at 14 inches equals 70 inches. 3 fish at 22 inches would be 66 Inches. My reason for the different measuring system is if one angler catches several fish and one angler catches only one large fish, the angler with more fish gets no points for angler of the year. Just a thought. Anybody with any other ideas?

Bob Paradise

Postby Bob Paradise » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:24 pm

I agree with steelheader, one fish could be caught by one lucky person but multible fish are caught by good fishermen and women.

Vicki's Seacret

Postby Vicki's Seacret » Thu May 04, 2017 10:40 pm

These are good suggestions, but..........
In my opinion, catch and release fishing events should not be included in the Angler of the Year competition. Fair, accurate scoring will be difficult to achieve.

Bob Feisel

Bad Dog

Postby Bad Dog » Fri May 05, 2017 3:04 am

Bob Paradise wrote:I agree with steelheader, one fish could be caught by one lucky person but multiple fish are caught by good fishermen and women.

Not sure I agree, At perch outings we cull many small fish. Nothing wrong with recognizing someone who caught the fish of a lifetime.

This is only the second year for AOTY events. Discussions like this one which improve these outings are all good.

Bad Dog

Postby Bad Dog » Fri May 05, 2017 3:38 am

Vicki's Seacret wrote:These are good suggestions, but..........
In my opinion, catch and release fishing events should not be included in the Angler of the Year competition. Fair, accurate scoring will be difficult to achieve.

Bob Feisel

Perhaps you are correct Bob, but there are times I'm more interested in the fishing than the fish. I measure a successful day targeting Musky and Sturgeon by whether the fish survive the release. There are plenty of Bass and river fishermen who would never consider harvesting their catch.