Thoughts regarding AOY

This is where to post all things about the Angler of the Year (AOTY) Outings as well any other outings - River, Surf & Pier & Otherwise -held in the past.
Adamwest

Thoughts regarding AOY

Postby Adamwest » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:29 am

I think the AOY is a great idea seems to have increased participation in some outings.

Also, if the AOY is intended to increase participation of members that don't have boats then I think the outings and tournaments that count towards the AOY should be limited to those that don't require a boat.

I noticed that with the current point allocation a person that won half of the events could lose the AOY to someone that didn't win any events but came in second at all of the events. I don't think this is likely but it is a strange situation that could be easily avoided by restructuring the points to. 10,5,2.5. In the event of a tie, the winner could be decided by most wins. If the number of wins were equal then the most second places would determine the winner and if there is still a tie the oldest could be awarded the AOY.

Since there was such a great turnout for the Caseville outing it would be great if we can include it in the AOY. Maybe, Jan 1st through Dec 31st (inclusive) and present the award in January the next year.

These are just some thoughts I had and I hope they will make a good thing better,
Adam

Bad Dog

Re: Thoughts regarding AOY

Postby Bad Dog » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:22 pm

Hi Adam,
I'll try to address your comments. For 2017 we've expanded the AOY schedule to include 11 events. We want to keep these events friendly and not discourage participation.

Boats: We wanted to be inclusive of more members and give incentive to participate in club events. Our salmon trolling tournaments also involve crew members, but primarly boat owners are recognized in the Skipper of the year competition. AOY events are structured to acknowledge everyone participating, not just the captain. Most of the AOY boat events do not require big water trolling rigs. Smaller open boats are suitable. Anyone interested in participating in one of these events who does not own their own boat should post a message in the 'crews' section. Most our captains will gladly take additional crew if they can do so safely. Typically these events are open to boat and shore fisherman.

Points and Ties: we wanted to keep the point structure simple so event organizers aren't burdened with extensive record keeping. Regardless of the point allocation, the possibility of a tie will always exist. We will use your recommendation. The first tie breaker will be based on the most wins.

Caseville and December events: Our award and presentation event is a part of our December Holiday meeting. The date for this meeting varies. In order for a December event to count towards AOY, we need sufficient time to have the recognition (jacket or plaque) manufactured. This year Caseville is nine days before the December meeting and will count towards AOY.

Adamwest

Re: Thoughts regarding AOY

Postby Adamwest » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:55 pm

Thanks for the update, Tom.

I would like to offer a possible format for reporting the AOY 2017 results and running totals. I have a sample that represents the Higgins Lake outing, a second outing with all new members placing and a third with a new member winning but 2 past top three members placing in the third event and the running totals at the bottom. Good Luck, Adam
Attachments
aoy spread sheet.JPG
aoy spread sheet.JPG (60.13 KiB) Viewed 1363 times