Angler of the Year events give DAS members the chance to get involved in different types of fishing. These events are great opportunities to enjoy friendly competition, while learning from some of the best DAS fisherman hosting events. In 2020, we have 12 events scheduled which encompass a variety of techniques to challenge everybody involved. Above all, these are intended to be fun events. They are designed to introduce new techniques and get members involved while doing what we love most, fishing in Michigan. We have implemented a few new rules intended to make events run smoothly.
Hope to see all of our members at some of these events. We need people to be the chairperson for some of these events or If you have any questions or ideas for our AOTY committee, please call Chairman Blaise Pewinski (248) 890-4517
If you would like to participate, or have questions about a specific outing, call the chairperson of the event.
Always visit the DAS Message Board AOTY Outing Forum for the latest details.
Sat., Jan. 30 (NOTE: Date Change) --- Metro Beach, Lake St. Clair
Sat., Feb. 3--- Selfridge Bay, Lake St. Clair
Sat., February 20 ---Saginaw Bay - Bay City State Park - Walleye Outing
Sat., March 27 --- Manistee - Manistee River Steelhead Challenge with Metro-West Steelheaders
Sat., April 17 --- Oscoda - AuSable River - Steelhead Outing
Sat., May 8 --- Algonac - St. Clair River - Walleye Drifting Outing
Sat., June 12 --- St. Clair - St. Clair River - Walleye Trolling Outing
Sat., July 10 --- Linwood - Linwood Beach Marina - Walleye Outing
Sat., September 11 --- Monroe - Sterling State Park on Lake Erie - Perch Outing
Sat., September 25 --- Manistee - Pier/Surf Outing
Sat., October 30 --- Manistee
Sat., November 6 --- Manistee - Manistee Watershed
Sat., December 11 --- Caseville - Lake Trout Outing
1. All participating DAS members must be up to date on their DAS membership dues. A grace period of 1 month late is allowed. Example 6/21 expiration is good until 7/31/21.
2. To be eligible for AOTY points for an event you must contact the event chairperson and register your name and pay a $10 entry fee prior to the event start time or call in to say you are participating and will pay the entry fee at the weigh-in. Even if you do not catch anything you must still pay the entry fee.
3. Each event will have a start and stop time posted by the event chairperson, along with 3. meeting and weigh-in location posted before each event. Contact the event chairperson or look at the DAS web site or monthly Fishin'-Tales newsletter.
4. POINTS will be given to all event participants for AOTY. To determine your standing for the event, scoring will be: 5 points per fish, plus total weight of catch. The winner of the event based upon the scoring will be awarded one point. Two points will be awarded to the second-place finisher based upon their score and this continues for all participants. Twenty-five points will be assigned to all participants that did not weigh a fish. If an individual records less than five scores during the AOTY competition, fifty points will be scored for each event until five scores are counted.
5. Overall winner of AOTY will be determined by the individuals best five low scores for the year. For award recognition the DAS will recognize the top three anglers. The angler who earns first place will receive an embroidered jacket or a $100 gift card.
6. In events where boats are involved, all participants on the boat must be entered in the event. The same scoring method will be used for each individual regardless of the event. For scoring purposes it is imperative that each angler on the boat keep track of each fish they catch.
7. All events will have a voluntary $10 per person big fish pool. Each person must commit to the big fish pool by paying in advance or by notifying the chairperson that you will pay at he weigh-in prior to weighing your catch. Entry in the Big Fish pool is not mandatory to compete in any event. Big Fish will be determined by length or weight of target species per event. Big fish pool will be awarded as follows: first place fish 50% of Big Fish pool, second place fish 30%, and third place fish 20%. In case of a tie longest of the 2 or heaviest of the 2 will get paid out.
8. All events have a posted target species along with the maximum quantity of fish to be weighed or measured by length to determine the top catches of an event.
Any questions concerning rules or to offer outing suggestions please contact the AOTY Committee: Blaise Pewinski (248) 890-4517