Angler of the Year events give DAS members the chance to get involved in different types of fishing. These events are great opportunities to enjoy friendly competition, while learning from some of the best DAS fisherman hosting events. In 2018 we have 12 events scheduled which encompass a variety of techniques to challenge everybody involved. Above all, these are intended to be fun events. They are designed to introduce new techniques and get members involved while doing what we love most, fishing in Michigan. We have implemented a few new rules intended to make events run smoothly.
Hope to see all of our members at some of these events. If you have any questions or ideas for our AOTY committee, please call Blaise Pewinski (248) 890-4517 or Bob Paradise (586) 457-4073
If you would like to participate, or have questions about a specific outing, call the chairperson of the event.
Sat., January 27 --- Mitchell's Bay, Ontario Canada - Perch Outing
Sat., February 10 --- Bay City - Saginaw Bay outing at Bay City State Park
Sat., March 24 --- Manistee - Manistee River Steelhead Challenge with Metro-West Steelheaders
Sat., April 28 --- Manistee - Lake Shore Motel Brown Trout Challenge
Sat., May 12 --- Algonac - St. Clair River Walleye Jigging Outing
Sat., June 16 --- St. Clair - St. Clair River Walleye Whipping Outing
Sat., July 7 --- Linwood - Linwood Beach Marina Saginaw Bay Walleye Outing
Sat., September 15 --- Monroe - Sterling State Park on Lake Erie Perch Outing
Sat., October 6 --- Platte Bay - Platte River Outing
Sat., October 27 --- Ludington - Big Tom Tournament
Sat., November 3 --- Manistee - Lake Shore Motel Annual Steelhead Tournament - Manistee Area
Sat., December 8 --- Caseville - Lake Trout Outing
1. All participating DAS members must be up to date on their DAS membership dues (a grace period of 1 month late is allowed. Example 6/18 is good until 7/31/18.
2. To be eligible for AOTY points for an event you must contact the event chair person and register your name and pay a $5 entry fee prior to the event start time or call in to say you are participating and will pay the entry fee at the weigh-in. Even if you do not catch anything you must still pay the entry fee.
3.Each event will have a start and stop time posted by the event chairperson, along with meeting and weigh in location posted before each event. Contact the event chairperson or look at the DAS web site or monthly Fishin' Tales news letter.
4. In events where boats are involved, all participants on the boat must be entered in the event. Each person must keep their catch separate from the others on board, or identify their fish with a zip tie, rubber band etc. Remember, these events are designed to be fun!
Pooling a catch together for a weigh in may result in disqualification of any or all on board as determined by the committee or chairperson.
5. All events will have a big fish pool, with a $5 paid in advance of the event or by calling the chairperson and telling them you are in the fish pool. This has to be done before the event start time, and paid before you weigh your fish. Big fish pool is not mandatory to compete in event. Big fish will be determined by length or weight of target species per event. Only the largest fish will receive the money. In case of a tie longest of the 2 or heaviest of the 2 will get paid out.
6. All events have a posted target species along with the maximum quantity of fish to be weighed or measured by length to determine the top catches of an event.
7. POINTS will be given to all event participants for AOTY. 5 points for 1st, 4 points for 2nd, 3 points for 3rd, 2 points for 4th, 1 point for 5th. 1/2 point given to all participants that finished 6th place & after and/or did not weigh a fish.
Any questions concerning rules or to offer outing suggestions please contact any of the AOTY Committee:
Blaise Pewinski (248) 890-4517 or
Bob Paradise (586) 457-4073